nuffnang leaderboard

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Father Anthony Chan's last message

Fr Anthony Chan’s 83 birthday celebration Published on May 30 , 2009By Conrad Nunis

KLANG: Fr Anthony Chan’s 83rd birthday celebration was held on April 25. During the celebration, Fr Chan took the opportunity to thank everyone present for all their efforts in organising the event.

During the dinner Fr Chan spoke on his life. “Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, I was born in 1926 in Guangdong Province, China, to a very poor family. My family were devout Catholics and they lived their faith seriously. I too revered God from a young age.

“When I was 20 years old, I walked 12 days to join the junior seminary and began my formal seminary education in Jiangmen. Later, I was sent to Hong Kong to continue my studies.

“I was ordained on July 7, 1956. Immediately after my ordination, I was sent to Malaya (now Malaysia) to serve the Chinese community for there was a lack of Chinese-speaking priests in this country.

When I came to Malaya, I could only speak two dialects, Cantonese and Guangxi. I only learnt to speak Mandarin, English and Bahasa Malaysia while in Malaya.

I started my first missionary work in Terengganu. Fifty years ago, this town was remote and underdeveloped, covered with jungle and barren hills. Life was tough. However, I had to endure all obstacles.

My most memorable encounter was being able to convert and baptize a Buddhist nun. As a priest too, these pastoral experiences gave me even greater strength and determination to continue my missionary work.

“In all my 53 years as a priest in Malaysia, I have served in several towns in Peninsular Malaysia, i.e . Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Terengganu, Kajang, Kuantan, Kuala Kubu Bharu, Rawang, Klang, Port Klang and Pandamaran.

“Since my retirement some years ago, I am enjoying a wonderful and pleasant semiretirement in Klang. The parishioners, be they Chinese speaking, English, Tamil or Malay speaking, love me and take good care of me. They ensure my needs are taken care
of and also my birthday is celebrated every year without fail.

“A group of Chinese parishioners knew I had a desire to return to my hometown in my remaining years. They planned and accompanied me to visit my 87-year old brother and his family, my relatives and friends. I took this opportunity to visit the Jiangmen Junior Seminary.

“For the first time in my entire priesthood, this was my first time celebrating Mass in my ancestors’ home with the assistance of the local priest, Wong Fei. This blessed occasion was very unique, as more than 100 people attended this Eucharistic celebration.

Another surprising incident was that when I was celebrating Mass in Zhan Jiang, the local Bishop Su Yong Da of Zhan Jiang became my altar server. I was humbled, yet honoured by this gesture.

“As many of you are aware, I have not been well lately. My illness has relapsed but I’m not complaining. I know that God is in it and I will embrace His decision. I ask for your prayers to accept His will.”

His parting advice to his parishioners was to read the Bible daily and pray earnestly for more vocations and make prayer part of our lives. —

Source: http://www.heraldmalaysia.com/news/storydetails.php/953-1-2-Fr-Anthony-Chan-s-83-birthday-celebration

No comments: